Tuesday, May 12, 2009

CSA!

Our CSA started up again last week! It is great to have wonderful produce in the house again.



This week we got red sail lettuce, rhubarb and a whole chicken.


I made this rhubarb bread pudding from a cookbook that I had gotten for my 30th birthday from my good friends Loretta and Audry.



It was delish!



And topped with a little fresh whipped cream. Seriously, do you know how much better fresh whipped cream is than cool whip? And it is not hard to make at all.


Rhubarb bread pudding

8 slices of toasted bread (I used whole wheat)
2 cups milk
2 tb butter
3/4 cup honey (I didn't have honey, so I used 1 cup sugar. If you use sugar instead of honey, you need a little bit more than how much honey the recipe calls for)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups diced rhubarb
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Topping

2tb brown sugar
2tb instant oatmeal
1/4tsp cinnamon
1/8tsp nutmeg

Cut toast into cubes. Place in a medium sized bowl. Heat up milk (do not boil). Take off heat once it is hot and add butter, sugar and vanilla. Stir. Pour milk mixture over bread and allow to sit for 15 min. Preheat oven to 325. Add eggs, rhubarb, cinnamon, and salt to bread mixture and stir carefully until well blended. Pour into greased 2 qt casserole. Mix topping ingrediants and sprinkle evenly over top. Bake, uncovered for 45-50 min or until firm.

3 comments:

erin said...

Hey Heather, my first pick-up is on Saturday and I am so excited! I can't wait to see what all is in there, it's like an awesome surprise gift basket or something! I'm pumped, will let you know how it goes!

Theresa said...

Oh I'm totally jealous. There's nothing like this available in our area.

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Looks good! Now I want more rhubarb! We made coffee cake with our last bunch and it was delicious.