Tuesday, June 3, 2008

CSA 6/3

Tonight was our CSA pickup and we were lucky enough to bring along a friend of the kids and myself. I was keeping my fingers crossed for no rain. We didn't have rain, but boy was it hot and humid. I have a lot of respect for all the work that Farmer John, his wife Ramona and his two apprentices do in this weather. This is the road that you turn on to get to the farm.



Here are the some of the veggies that are growing. Farmer John showed the kids the potato and sweet potato that was growing and taught them the difference between how the two grow.






Sweet corn starting to grow.



Visiting the sheep. They were all panting because they are so hot with their heavy coats. They will be sheared soon.





The sheep were let out to graze.






Farmer John let the kids gather eggs today which was a great experience. Whenever I would watch "Little House on the Prairie" when I was a little girl, I always wanted to be able to gather eggs! Specifically I wanted to put them into the fold of my apron while I wore a bonnet, but business casual attire and a wire basket worked just fine!









Next, we played by the creek. Brenna got to ride in the tire swing for the first time.







The kids went up to the tree house with Farmer John's watchful eye while mother kept her feet on the ground!





Kids walking across the log



This was my share for this week. It is actually a quarter of a share as my mother and I are getting half a share. This is mixed lettuces, swiss chard and broccoli. For the swiss chard, I found a recipe for swiss chard gnocchi that looks really good. I might be trying that in the next several days. I also found an interesting dessert recipe using swiss chard. It has a long French name, so I can't think of it now!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo tour of the CSA. Looks like a great place, a fun place!