Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Banoffee Pie

In Ireland, we tried a dessert that we really enjoyed. Banoffee was created in England in the 1970's and is now quite popular in England and Ireland. It really was an easy recipe to make and could be made even easier with some more shortcuts.

Banoffee

1 9 inch graham cracker crust (I used a pre-made one.)
2 bananas
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups whipping cream (you could use cool whip in a pinch, but making your own is not hard at all and WAY better tasting.)

Boil the can of condensed milk for 3 hours. Yes, the whole can. Just put it in a deep pan and make sure it is well covered with water. Don't simmer it, boil it. You will have to check on it frequently to make sure it stays covered with water. It could explode if you don't keep it totally covered with water. I think I had to refill mine about every 45 min or so. I also turned the can over half way through. Now, you can boil several cans and they will stay good in the cabinet for a long time. Then you really have an easy dessert to make. Trust me and just do it. You are going to like this pie. I didn't and now I am kicking myself! Let the can cool for about 15 min. When you go to open it, wrap it with a paper towel because some of the hot toffee is going to come out. Pour the toffee into the pie crust. Let cool. Slice bananas and put them on top. Put your whip cream in a large bowl. I like to put a bit of sugar in it to sweeten it. I probably put in a tablespoon or so. Use a hand mixer and beat well until it is very thick. Don't beat too long or it will turn into butter! Spoon whip cream over the top and spread around. I read that some people add chocolate shavings to the top. Put in the fridge for awhile before serving. Maybe 30ish minutes. Delish!

3 comments:

Megs said...

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh... so wishing I was home right now...

LOVE THAT STUFF!

Anonymous said...

Send a slice to Meg and one to me quick :)

Anonymous said...

We are totally trying this! Thanks for the detailed instructions.