Thursday, July 17, 2008

CSA, 7/15

Tuesday I got the chance to take my sister out to the farm. It had been several weeks since we had been out, and it was nice to see Farmer John, Ramona and her mother again.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Cheryl Unruh there. She runs the website www.flyoverpeople.net and I am a daily reader! She blogs about life in Emporia and Kansas. I have been reading the site for several months so it was nice to put a face with a name. Her friend Tracy was there as well with two of her children. Actually, that website is how I even learned about the CSA!

This week for the CSA we recieved a red cabbage and green beans.



Last night we had pork tenderloin with a warm apple sauce, cubed potatoes and green beans. YUM!


Produce: Green Beans
Zack: good!
Gavin: ate every last one (had told Farmer John's wife that he would not be eating any at all!)
Brenna: fell asleep before she could have any dinner!
Heather: love them

Tonight, I made bierrocks with the cabbage. They were really really good.


Produce: Red Cabbage
Recipe: Bierrocks
Zack: eh
Heather: YUM!
Gavin: loved them
Brenna: fell asleep before she could have any dinner (are we seeing a trend here?)

Bierrocks

2 can biscuit dough
1.5 lbs ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cabbage, diced
shredded mozzerella

I browned the beef and added the garlic in to simmer with it at the end. I actually poured a cup of beef broth over it as well just to add some more flavor. I added the cabbage and cooked until it was wilted down. I also seasoned it with salt, pepper and some other stuff from the spice rack! I rolled out each biscuit so they were pretty thin. I put a spoonful of meat mixture and some cheese and folded them over. Bake at 350 for 25 min or until golden brown. You can cool these and freeze as well.


**I had to add a note about Brenna and the bierrocks. As I had mentioned, she was asleep while we ate. She woke up later and I warmed her up one. She asked what was in them and I said, "hamburger and stuff". She ate one while I was reading her a book on the couch. I swear every time I turned the page she would say, "wow mom these are really really good."....."mom, can I make these with you sometime? they are good!". Over and over again. She loved them!

3 comments:

Megs said...

It was so fun!!! Let me know if I need to email you the pictures... I keep looking for them to show up on here!

Sounds yummy!

Love ya.

Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you and the kiddos and Megan!

The bierock meal looks healthy and great - especially on a Spiderman plate - who could resist?

Megs said...

wow... the picture of the cabbage and green beans looks so artsy! :)