Saturday, August 30, 2008

Adventure Day

Brenna and I wanted to do something special so we set out for a bit of an adventure today. My camera is in DC and I forgot to have my mom bring her camera so I have no pictures. It kills me to say that! I told my mom that we need to repeat this entire day just so I can have some pictures!

Mid-morning we headed out to Hartford to go the European Bakeshop there. Hartford is a town of about 500 in the middle of Kansas that has an honest-to-goodness French bakery. Seriously! She is from France! Hartford is a quaint little town with about a 2 block city center. The bakery was really cute. They served quiche (unfornately someone had bought the entire quiche that morning so there was none for us!), crepes (!), cinnamon rolls, croissants, rolls, ice cream, sandwhiches....pastries...cheesecake. All kinds of things. Oh and also baquettes and loaves of bread.

Brenna had a cinnamon roll and hot chocolate, mom had a cream puff and I had coffee and a banana chocolate crepe. Oh la la! It was incredible. The last time I had a crepe that good I was in France! (De--remember the chocolate crepes we had in France??) It was awesome. I would much rather drive to Hartford for that kind of breakfast rather than go to Village Inn! I also bought a baquette, an almond croissant and chocolate roll. Mom bought two loaves of bread.

She does a lot of catering and I really want to use her sometime for something.

Check out her website here...and go and visit sometime! Well worth the drive. She has limited hours so check those out before you drive out there!



www.europeanbakeshop.com

Next we went out to the Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge. We walked a hiking trail that goes by a marsh. We saw about a gazillion frogs! It also has a dock that goes out over the marsh and there were some cranes out there. Pretty neat.

Next we decided to go out the Indian Hills Loop. We spent about 30 min driving around Hartford trying to find it! Which is funny because Hartford is really small. :)

We finally found it and it was really neat. Lots of pretty area to look at. Marshes, watery areas with TONS of cranes. Big white and grey ones. All over the place. Also saw a family of deer, a mom and two babies. Really great drive. We plan on going out some other time so we can explore a bit more.

Here is their website. It would be a great half day trip for any family in this area. And De and Tommy, we decided this would be a place we would take you when you come to Kansas! (notice that I said "when" and not "if")



www.fws.gov/flinthills

Afterwards we went up to Lebo to eat at a little cafe called the End of the Trail Steak House. It was pretty good. Next door there was a little house that has been turned into a home decorating stuff. Very cute. Lots of fall stuff out.

So all and all it was an excellent day and we came back tired! I plan to do the whole trip over again soon so that I can take Gavin and take lots of pictures!

No comments: