Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lentils

Tonight I did my grocery shopping while Gavin was at church and Zack/Brenna were at the ESU volleyball game. It is so relaxing for me to go to the grocery store alone! I saw some lentils and bought them because I have been wanting to try a recipe that I have been hearing rave reviews about. It is good, but I need to tweak it next time. I would DOUBLE the amount of water. It is supposed to be almost stew like, but it came out very dry. I just went ahead and added some chicken broth to moisten it up. They say you can add any veggies that you want. I added potato and carrot. I think it would be really really good with sweet potatoes. Our CSA shares are supposed to have some sweet potatoes soon and I can't wait to try it out with this.



Honey Baked Lentils

1 cup lentils
2 cups water (I would increase this to 3 or 4 cups)
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soysauce or tamari
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ginger
1 clove garlic
1 small onion
salt & pepper to taste

Combine in a 2.5 qt casserole dish.

Bake in a covered dish at 350 until tender (about an hour and a half).

The recipe also says, "You could also substitute 1/3 cup of rice or barley for some of the lentils; oh, and add whatever "winter" vegetables you have on hand. When I made it last night, I used carrots and potatoes. It was delicious. Squash would be a great addition, too, I bet. We ate this as a stew over brown rice, but it would also be yummy over quinoa, or on some flatbread (lentils on toast? on a bagel, lol?) We eat it as the main dish, but it would be a great side dish as well."

Lentils are a superfood and extremely healthy for you. I would love to find some other ways of using them.

No comments: